Pinterest For Photography MarketingGetting started with Pinterest is as easy as signing up for an account, installing the “Pin It” button, and creating your first board. Pinterest lets you upload your own images as well as pin from around the web. From there, you can follow other Pinterest users and see who follows you; you can also “Re-pin,” “Like” and comment on other people’s images that move you, and see who does the same for your images. However, when it comes to Pinterest and marketing for photographers, there are some things to be aware of. Here are 10 tips for helping you optimize your Pinterest experience for your photography marketing goals:
1. Size MattersShow only your very best work, and keep pinned photos at 554px wide, or close to it. You can crop if you wish, but take care that all image components are easy to discern even at the preview image size.
2. Watermarks and TextAdding a subtle watermark to the corner of each of your photos with your business name/logo can go a long way in marketing for your photography business. Consider also adding appropriate promotional text within some of your images to send the message that you are in business; however, take care not to overdo it and get too “salesy.”
3. Have a Clear Intent for Each BoardAvoid a confusing “collage-like” effect by making sure each board has a focus and topic; for example, the Smith-Jones wedding, minimalist art, urban grunge, cityscapes, portraits on muslin backdrops, etc.
4. Make Use of KeywordsWith so little text in Pinterest, you should make the most of your opportunity to include keywords with your photos. From the photo file name to the board titles and image descriptions, keywords can help your work to come up more often in searches by relevant users.
5. “Follow” IntelligentlyWhile you might have unconditional regard for some photographers, it’s generally best to follow specific boards, not the people who make them. This will help to keep your Pinterest connections on-target with the types of photography you are promoting.
6. Make it Easy for Pinterest UsersAdd the “Pin It” button to your website so that users can easily Re-pin your work.
7. Stay ActiveLook at who is Re-pinning and Liking your images, and make the effort to do the same for images that really speak to you. Be sure to comment as well. Browse aggressively; branch out from “expected” categories and see what’s out there. You never know where inspiration and connections may be found.
8. Avoiding Pinterest Pins?Some photographers concerned about their publishing rights may not want certain images to be pinned. If you wish to block Pinterest users on a page, paste this code into its header file: <meta name=”pinterest” content=”nopin” /> To protect WordPress pages, use their Pinterest Block plugin.
9. Consider a Pinterest Business AccountWhile certainly not required, a Pinterest business account can assist in marketing for photographers with its tracking features. You’ll be able to track board and pin popularity as well as overall exposure. From there, you can fine-tune your account for the desired marketing effect. Cost is a one-time fee that can range from a couple hundred to over a thousand dollars depending upon your needs.
10. Learn from Your PinsLastly, as you start pinning more and more photos, take note of your own pinning trends and habits. Have you been pinning lots of edgy compositions because you don’t feel yours are as innovative as they could be? Are you drawn to technically-sound photos because you think your skills could be better? Learn from your pins and consider investing in more practice and education in these areas. From marketing for photographers to gaining insights about your connection with photography, Pinterest holds a wealth of information, inspiration and value. Have even more fun with photography and start reaping the benefits of Pinterest today.
Do you refer your clients to your Pinterest boards for inspiration and guidance in planning their upcoming session?
-Backdrop Express Photography Team
Check out Backdrop Express on Pinterest for studio photography inspiration and product information!
Trackback from your site.