Printed backdrops, megapixels, custom backgrounds, computer printed backdrops — while the origins of photography can be traced back to 1790, it certainly has come a long way since then. The very first printed photography image emerged in 1826, and the first color photograph in 1861. Backdrops in portrait photography showed up in the mid-1800s and were primarily painted vignettes on canvas, cloth or curtains. The first digital cameras emerged in the 1980s; it’s hard to believe, but the term “megapixel” was used for the first time in 1984 — not very long ago. These days, digital photography is the norm. Technology continues to shape other aspects of photography as well, including the selection of props, backdrops and studio equipment that are now available to the photographer.
The Evolution of the Photography BackdropWhile painted muslin and canvas backgrounds still fill a vital role in the photographer’s studio, more versatile backdrop choices are now available as well. Seamless paper and vinyl have increased the photographer’s repertoire for a smooth, reliable, even surface. More recently, computer-printed backgrounds are allowing photographers to convey just about any look or atmosphere they can dream up. If it’s not already printed, custom printed backdrops can be commissioned for precisely the look and background image desired.
Uses for Printed BackdropsBreaking away from tradition and what’s familiar might seem strange at first, but change and evolution has been the nature of photography since its start over 200 years ago. It continues to evolve, as do the props and equipment available to the industry. Computer-printed backdrops are not just for photography, either; here are some of the uses and advantages of printed backgrounds over other backdrop choices:
1. Studio PhotographyWhen a very specific look or scene is needed, printed backdrops offer a level of precision and photo-realism that’s just not possible with painted muslin or canvas. Using a physical background is also easier than using a green screen, which requires time in post-production to edit the background to look natural behind the subject. Printed scenic backdrops can offer a very realistic setting for studio and portrait photography, while abstract printed backdrops or patterned backgrounds create a contemporary, artsy look for children, family portraits or senior portraits.
Featuring: Ocean Blues Striped Printed Backdrop
2. Parties, Weddings, DancesFrom birthday parties to holiday parties to themed events, people will want to remember the day, the other people who attended and how everyone looked. From making an atmosphere in tune with the theme of the event to creating the perfect spot for a photographer to stand ready to snap images of guests, a printed backdrop will help set the scene. From Christmas, to Halloween to an Egyptian-themed party or wedding, printed backgrounds strike the perfect mood and will convey the vibe you’re going for.
Featuring: Red Carpet Flashbulbs Printed Backdrop
3. Photo BoothsWhether you run an old-school automated photo booth or something more in tune with the times, offering a variety of computer-printed backdrops to your customers will keep them coming back for more. Printed backdrops are perfect whenever a static setup for photos, portraits or group shots is needed, and your customers are sure to spread the word and tell their friends about you.
4. Presentations, Trade Shows, DisplaysPrinted backdrops are also an excellent solution for displays at trade shows, malls, retail stores or anywhere you want a professional look for a presentation or display. Install them in a trade show booth, a reception area or onstage behind a featured speaker. Custom backgrounds are the perfect solution whenever a backdrop with specific company logos is required, such as a red carpet event or step-and-repeat for publicity shots.
5. Theater ProductionsWhether your play is set in France, New York City or somewhere even more exotic, no location is too remote for a printed background. If you don’t see the scene you’re looking for in the selection available, you can always commission a custom background by providing your own digital image to be reproduced on a background. Why settle? With printed backdrops, you’ll enchant the audience while giving your play the perfect atmosphere.
Featuring: Forgotten Hall Printed BackdropPhotography continues to evolve, and computer-printed backgrounds and custom backgrounds are on the cutting edge. Consider using printed backdrops in your studio, portrait and location photography today.
What creative uses have you seen for photo backgrounds?
-Backdrop Express Photography Team
Trackback from your site.